Cardiff City 0-2 Middlesbrough: Mick McCarthy’s Bluebirds suffer their eighth loss in a row

Report and highlights of the Sky Bet Championship clash between Cardiff City and Middlesbrough at Cardiff City Stadium when goals from Andraz Sporar and Martin Payero gave Mick McCarthy’s Bluebirds their eighth loss in a row

Middlesbrough increased the pressure on Cardiff boss Mick McCarthy, who inflicted a club record for the eighth straight loss on the Bluebirds with a 2-0 win.

There was an anxious start at Cardiff City Stadium, before a chorus of boos accompanied the halftime whistle after the controversial Andraz Sporar (35) penalty left the locals behind.

McCarthy’s men flew out of the traps after the break and hit the crossbar through Aden Flint, but the momentum faded, with a good shot from Martin Payero (74) enough to eliminate the chances of a late resurgence.

Cardiff sits just two points above the Championship relegation zone before the rest of Saturday’s action, while Neil Warnock’s victory against his former employers lifts Boro to seventh place.

Martin Payero celebrates after making it 2-0
Image: Martin Payero celebrates after making it 2-0

The nerves were evident from a very early point in South Wales. Staring down the barrel of a club-record eight-game losing streak, it wasn’t long before Cardiff came under pressure and was riddled with shots from Paddy McNair, Payero and Sporar.

With half an hour passed, Cardiff fans’ nerves were put to the test when former Bluebird Sol Bamba had a powerful header well saved by Alex Smithies, but things took two minutes worse when the visitors received a controversial penalty.

Sporar’s shot from outside the box struck the hand of Mark McGuinness, who was next to him, on his way to the Smithies. Referee Jeremy Simpson pointed the spot, Sporar in hand to score his third goal of the season.

Matt Crooks came close to doubling the away lead shortly after, but managed to drag a shot off the left post even though he seemed to have plenty of time to pick his spot from the edge of the area.

Cardiff came to life after the break, desperate to salvage something from the game. Flint saw a series of blocked shots, before Joe Lumley reacted well to ward off a rebounding effort from James Collins and Flint’s downward header struck the bottom of the crossbar in agony.

But Middlesbrough kept their composure, managed to take control of the game again, and piled up misery on their opponents when Uche Ikpeazu’s crusader was transferred by Sporar to Payero, who finished well to seal the points.

What’s Next?

Both teams will play at 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 30. Cardiff will travel to the bet365 Stadium to face Stoke, while Middlesbrough will host Birmingham at Riverside Stadium.

Supply hyperlink

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *